Chair and Editor of the Maryland Psychologist: Robyn Waxman, Ph.D.
Co-Chair: Brian Corrado, Psy.D.
Overview: The Communications Committee oversees internal and external communication projects of the association. Such projects include the monthly InPSYder enewsletter, email blasts to the membership and the MPA website. The Committee also monitors the MPA listserv.
This committee includes the Public Education Committee, which is a separate committee that does not have a board seat. The Communications Chair is a voting member of the Board of Directors.
- The committee publishes The Maryland Psychologist, the quarterly digital magazine of MPA. The co-chairs along with committee members and MPA staff suggest themes, topics, or authors for the magazine.
- The committee supports the MPA staff to produce the monthly online newsletter, the InPsyder. The InPSYder may include special features, promote MPA events, and include outreach such as the ‘member spotlight’ or a survey.
- The Communications Chair works with the Executive Director to monitor the MPA practice Listerv to ensure that members are using the Listserv according the American Psychological Association’s requirements.
Current Initiatives: Informally, communications are concerned with promoting the MPA brand, generating advertising revenue, and engaging members. Communications takes an active role in generating non-dues revenue to keep MPA fiscally healthy. For example, Communications may create opportunities for members or sponsors to advertise to the membership. Communications has been active in initiatives such as selecting the new MPA website. Communications may also determine how MPA can engage appropriately with corporate sponsors. Communications may take on special projects, such as fundraising with MPA themed gear.
Mission or Role of Committee: The Communications Committee’s mission is two-fold: 1) to improve communication within MPA to increase member satisfaction and retention; and 2) to promote MPA and its services to its members, potential members, and to the public. The Committee is responsible for coordinating internal and external communications via print (flyers, brochures), electronic (website, InPSYder, TMP, listserv), and social media (Facebook, Twitter)
We recently launched an Instagram account
- Produced 4 issues of The Maryland Psychologist
- Redesigned the production schedule to return to a quarterly schedule
- For the Sept. 2019 TMP, we are introducing an MPA-focused issue
- Targeted email blasts continue to produce positive results for MPA programs.
- The TMP editor in chief position will be rolled into the Committee Chair position as of 2019-2020.
Please log in to see this committee’s meeting schedule.