Chair: Jessica Rothstein, Psy.D.
Co-Chair: Whitney Hobson, Ph.D.
Mission/Role: The mission of the Diversity Committee is to develop, support, and promote awareness and sensitivity of the diverse communities to which Maryland psychologists belong and serve.
Accomplishments this past year: (2018-2019):
- Worked with the Board of Directors and Membership Committee to re-vamp demographic information gathered about MPA members to be more inclusive around identity factors (i.e., gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, etc.).
- Continued to work with the Board of Directors to issue statements to members regarding social/political events that needed attention due to diversity factors.
- Diversity Committee members regularly authored articles in The Maryland Psychologist.
- Co-sponsored a movie event with the Early Career Psychologist Committee to provide a forum for discussion around socially relevant themes.
- Co-led a discussion with members of the Ethics Committee at the Essential Requirements Convention to emphasize the importance of diversity in ethical decision making.
- Had representation from the Committee at the State Leadership Convention.
- Explored working with community organizations who serve marginalized communities to see how MPA can provide support to these organizations.