Chair: Linda McGhee, J.D., Ph.D.
Continuing Education Coordinator: Veronica Rand
Misson/Role: Educational Affairs is responsible for planning Continuing Education events through the Maryland Psychological Association Foundation (MPAF).
Vision: This committee strives to connect with MPA members to continually assess and meet professional and educational needs in a fiscally responsible manner, and to reach out to psychologists in all corners of the state and at all stages of personal and professional development through both on-site and distance learning.
Committee Mission Statement
- To coordinate opportunities for psychologists and allied professionals to earn continuing education credits towards maintaining licensure and to enhance professional development, professional practice, and personal growth
- To promote awareness of the most current research and best practice, emphasizing evidence-based practice in psychology, to assist psychologists in providing effective treatments to a diverse population of clients
- To improve Maryland psychologists’ ability to offer ethical, compassionate, and competent care to the public
- To promote a culture of life-long learning, curiosity, and scholarship
- To contribute to the mission and sustainability of MPA and MPAF
- To collaborate with and support other MPA committees in their efforts to educate psychologists and clinicians
- To promote networking and connections between psychologists and to facilitate the exchange of ideas and the development of professional relationships
- To utilize technology to provide distance learning opportunities
Accomplishments this past year: (2018-2019):
The committee hosted two multi-session conferences, free-standing workshops, two Post-Doctoral Institutes, and a Lunch and Learn series
- Multi-Session Conferences: Annual convention, including a Medical Cannabis bonus hour. Essential Requirements Conference with workshops on Diversity, Ethics, and Supervision
- Free-standing workshops included: An assessment focus with Diagnosis of Reading Disorders and the R-PAS Rorschach Performance Assessment System, Behavioral Interventions for TIC Disorders, and Canine-Assisted Therapy
- Post-Doctoral Institutes: We wrapped up the PDI on Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder with workshops on Treatment of Adults with ADHD and Helping College Students with ADHD Succeed. We also began a new PDI on Major Mood Disorders with workshop on Diagnosis of Depression and Assessing and Treating Suicide Risk
- Lunch and Learns are 90-minute seminars held in-person at the MPA office, simulcast for distance learning, and recorded for our webcast library. Topics covered this year were: our annual Legislative Update, Introduction to revised CPT assessment codes, Working in Tertiary Care Settings, Screening for Reading Disorders, Clinician Self-Care, Disaster Relief, and Psychotherapy and Medical Cannabis
Current initiatives: Our newest online Independent/home study course on Supervision has been released. We plan to release more independent study courses throughout this year.